Auto start manager virus issues

General discussion about Acelogix Software products
SMXBob

Auto start manager virus issues

Post by SMXBob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:20 am

Has anyone noticed a lot of files are marked with a virus by Auto start manager?
All the files it says have a problem are at least a year or many years old.
My virus checker and spy bot do not show any viruses.

Any one know if Auto Start Manager is valid?

Thanks

Aneesh
Site Admin

Re: Auto start manager virus issues

Post by Aneesh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:27 am

If you're referring to the 'Verify' option in the Ace Utilities' 'Auto Start Manager' tool:

When you click 'verify', the entries are checked with that from a third party database. After the verification, some entries are 'flagged', but that does not mean they are a problem. It implies that malicious programs have mimicked themselves to appear like legit ones and thus have been reported/added to the database in the past.
Regards,
Aneesh,
Acelogix Software Team.

SMXBob

Post by SMXBob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I suggest that there should be a notification of such as the information is very misleading.
As an example for ie4uinit.exe is says "Added by the LORSIS WORM! Note - this is not the legitimate Internet (Explorer.exe)"
But this is a legitimate file even acknowledged on Microsoft's website. And it goes on to list several more files affected by trojans.

In this day and age of security that is scary and could lead people to start deleting legitimate files. I mean, who wants a worm.

Thanks,
Steve

mammoth181

Post by mammoth181 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Confused me at beginning too but yeah, it COULD be malware, but most probably it's not.