Remove Junk Freeze

Discuss problems regarding Acelogix Software products and find solutions
csleech

Remove Junk Freeze

Post by csleech » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:52 pm

Hello Acelogix!

First, love the software and never have issues with it... Until now.

I attempt to run the Remove Junk option and it freezes the application and does not respond. I ran Process Monitor on it and it scans the C:\Windows\Temp folder and then Thred Exits, however the GUI stays up. See the attached screen shot.

I can manually close the program and run all other areas of the tool without issue (so far). I am running Windows 7 x64.

Please let me know what else if anything you need!

csleech
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (223.71 KiB) Viewed 19161 times

Aneesh
Site Admin

Re: Remove Junk Freeze

Post by Aneesh » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:50 pm

That's strange. We tried to simulate the issue here and everything worked as expected.

There are a couple of options you can try.

* If you've set 'Remove junk files (RJF)' to start scanning automatically as soon as it is launched, then disable it for the time being via 'Options > Automate > Enable automatic scanning'. Launch RJF and click 'Scan'. Does it hang instantly?

* If the scan proceeds for some time and then freezes, then:
a) Uncheck all the selected drives. Then run the scan. During this, only the temp folder is scanned.
b) If RJF hangs during 'step a', then go to 'Options > Remove Junk files' and disable 'Clean temp folder' and 'Delete empty temp folder'. Then select a drive and click 'Scan'. If RJF works properly now, then check if the 'temp' folder has large number of files. Normally the number of files shouldn't bother RJF, but some times the tool may appear to have hung (while scanning a large number of files) if you try to perform an action on the RJF window, like a few mouse-clicks, dragging the window, etc. If you give time to end the scan, it will finish properly.
c) If RJF still hangs, then deselect the drive selected in 'step b' and click 'Scan'. Since nothing is selected for the scan, it should end in a second or less.
Regards,
Aneesh,
Acelogix Software Team.

csleech

Post by csleech » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi Aneesh!

I do not have the option set to automatically start scanning. I tried the first step (cleaning only temp files) and it worked file. I then selected only one drive on my machine (C:\) and it frooze. I did allow it to run for awhile and it doesn't do anything (no activity in Process Monitor). I tried choosing a different drive (D:\) and scanning and it worked fine. It is something with the C:\ drive (not sure what though).

For some further testing, I went and added an exception for C:\Windows\Temp and ran the removal again and it forze on a different path (C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp). I opened this and manually deleted everything that was able to be deleted (not in use) and ran it again and it still crashed. If need be I can provide a copy of the file(s) remaning in the folder. If I add this folder to the exception list, then it simply freezes at a different location. I don't think it has anything to do with a specific folder or file.

Thoughts on what to do/try next?

clseech

uzi69

Post by uzi69 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:13 pm

How about uninstall it, delete leftovers, and install latest Ace Utilities 5.2.3.472.

Try that, i had similar problem before, maybe it works.

Regards!

Aneesh
Site Admin

Post by Aneesh » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:38 am

That's strange indeed. We'll check the issue as soon as possible. Meanwhile, if the latest version is giving you trouble then you can try the following versions that are also available for download from our website.

Current stable version v5.2.3: http://acelogix.fileburst.com/aceutils.exe

v5.2.2 : http://acelogix.com/downloads/aceutils_5.2.2.exe
v5.2.1 : http://acelogix.com/downloads/aceutils_5.2.1.exe
v5.1 : http://acelogix.com/downloads/aceutils_5.1.exe
Regards,
Aneesh,
Acelogix Software Team.

csleech

Post by csleech » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Aneesh,

I found the reason for this issue. There were some large files on my machine that were being scanned that caused the application to "freeze". Basically there were about 4 or 5 900mb+ ZIP files in a directory that were being scanned and just took either a long time to scan (more than I wanted to wait) or simply froze the software.

Aneesh
Site Admin

Post by Aneesh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Strange. The size shouldn't matter since the program does not scan inside an archive file or any file for that matter, rather just checks the file extension.
Regards,
Aneesh,
Acelogix Software Team.