I have a problem?

Discuss problems regarding Acelogix Software products and find solutions

I have a problem?

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:11 pm

I have Ace utilities 2.1 and I recently encounter some problems with the program.

When I first use the "Securely Delete Files" in Ace Utilities, and delete the files from it, it empty the recycle bin which is fine.

However I notice that if I delete a file without using the Program, somehow I cannot recover the file anymore? (Restore files from the Recycle bin) :evil:

I check the box for "Do not move to recycle bin" in properties and it is NOT checked. I also make sure that the recycle bin is big enough for bigger files (currently over 3 Gigs)

Thanks

hari
Site Admin

Post by hari » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:55 am

hi,

Are you using WinXP ?

If so, try this.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_ed ... clebin.reg

Click on the above link and when you are asked to open/save, click open.
regards,
Hari, Acelogix Team

jazzbodepew

Post by jazzbodepew » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:15 pm

Interesting
Hari could you explain this a little more please?
Is it a bug in Ace Utilities or a bug in the WinXP Recycle-bin?
Or maybe a bug in the XP registry manager?
jazz......... :shock:
~ ~
***JAZZ OO SAYS***
ACE----oooO--(_)---Oooo---EXCELS

hari
Site Admin

Post by hari » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:23 am

hi,

It probably is a bug in XP, since I have seen this problem being asked in many forums.

It can also be caused by a corrupt file inside recycle bin. Nothing to worry about really.
regards,
Hari, Acelogix Team

Cal

Post by Cal » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:11 am

This is what I do when the "Recycle Bin" does that:
(1) go to start, run, type in "cmd" then enter. Assuming that the recycle bin in question is in your c:\ drive

(2) Change to the root c:\ typing "cd c:\" at the prompt and enter.

Then this should be showing: c:\>

(3) Now just use this command "rmdir recycled /s"
and then click "Y" to force delete this folder.

Next time you delete something again, the recycle bin will be recreated, no problem at all.

Note: Make sure you know the exact name of your bin because mine was named "Recylcer!" Also, the above can be done in XP by bringing up the DOS window. Earlier versions of Windows may have to be done in real DOS!
Regards
Cal

hari
Site Admin

Post by hari » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:55 am

Step-by-step: Fixing a damaged Recycle Bin

A. If the Recycle Bin?s INFO file is damaged, your Recycle Bin will appear empty even when it isn?t. You can often restore a file in this situation by searching for the file by name (click Start -> Find -> Files Or Folders, or Start -> Search in Windows XP) and then renaming it.

If you still can?t recover your file, try deleting the INFO file. This will cause Windows to create a new INFO file the next time you restart your system. When you reboot, you may find the files in the Recycle Bin are now accessible. You?ll need to work from a DOS prompt to fix things up. Remember to press Enter after typing each of the DOS commands mentioned below:
Click Start -> Programs -> MS-DOS Prompt to open a DOS command window. (In Windows XP use Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.)
To make the Recycled folder the current folder type:

CD \RECYCLED
To unhide the INFO file type:

ATTRIB -H INF*
To delete the INFO file type:

DEL INFO*.
To close the DOS window type:

EXIT

B. Your Recycle Bin may also appear empty if any of the files within it are damaged. In this case, you probably won?t be able to recover the contents of the Recycle Bin, but you can make it function correctly again by doing the following:
Click Start -> Programs -> MS-DOS Prompt. (In Windows XP use Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.)
Type:

CD \RECYCLED
Type:

ATTRIB -H DESKTOP.INI
To copy the desktop.ini file to your root folder type:

COPY DESKTOP.INI \
To delete the entire contents of the Recycled folder type:

DEL *.*
To copy the desktop.ini file back to your Recycled folder type:

COPY \DESKTOP.INI
To delete the copy of desktop.ini in the root folder type:

DEL \DESKTOP.INI
To close the DOS window type:

EXIT

C. If the Desktop.ini file is damaged or missing, you can get the Recycle Bin back up and running correctly by creating a new Desktop.ini file within the Recycled folder:
Open the Recycled folder in Windows Explorer (if you can?t locate it, open any folder in Windows Explorer, select Tools Menu -> Folder Options -> View Tab, enable the Show All Files option and click OK).
Right-click in a blank spot and select New -> Text Document to create a new text file. Name the file desktop.ini.
Double-click the file to open it and type the following two lines:

[.ShellClassInfo]

CLSID={645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
Close and save the file, then reboot.

D. The Recycled folder itself can also become damaged. If this is the case, you will be able to send files to the Recycle Bin and the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop will appear full, but you will be unable to view the contents of the Bin and the Empty Recycle Bin command will be unavailable when you right-click the Recycle Bin.

To fix this you must delete the Recycled folder. Windows will recreate it when you reboot:
Click Start -> Programs -> MS-DOS Prompt. (In Windows XP use Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.)
Type:

ATTRIB -S -H RECYCLED
Type:

DEL RECYCLED
Type:

EXIT
Reboot your computer.

(Note: If you have NTFS drive, you have to use RECYCLER instead of RECYCLED in all the above commands)
regards,
Hari, Acelogix Team