Disc defragmentation

Suggest new features for future releases, participate in beta tests and share the results
BestRip

Disc defragmentation

Post by BestRip » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:24 pm

I use Vista and have always had a setting active for the systems own disc defragmentation.
Recently I had a problem that made me check up the state of my disc and I tried to run the Vista systems defrag. program. This took an enormous time (several hours) and showed nothing of its process or progress. I then turned it off and downloaded a freeware disc defrag. program and ran that. It took around 10 - 15 minutes to complete a full run and showed its progress all the way, as well as it gave a full report upon completion. I tried running it again and then it was a lot faster and had only a few files to defrag. Finally a defrag cycle could take around only a few minutes and the report would state 0 or close to zero files were fragmented. I then tried to run the Vista built in disc defragmentation program only to find that it just kept on and on apparently doing nothing or being busy, whatever?(the disc sure sounds busy!) But it took forever, so again I closed it down, incomplete? But a point here is that while I had the Vista defrag. active for once a week the disc was in a very messy state when I ran the other 3'rd party defrag. program.

All this being said, I would like to suggest a disc defragmentation function in Ace Utilities. With a graphic progress presentation! :D