Regbak

General discussion about Acelogix Software products
Mumio

Regbak

Post by Mumio » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:15 pm

I have a question I hope someone would help me with: I would like to restore a specific registry hive...the default hive. I used Regbak to create the backup, but when I go to restore under advanced options, all files under system and current user are checked off. Should I uncheck everything except the default backup? The event viewer shows that the default hive is corrupted...there are no other errors for anything else in the registry showing in the event viewer.

hari
Site Admin

Re: Regbak

Post by hari » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:10 am

Should I uncheck everything except the default backup?
Yes, if you want to restore just the Default hive.

But we are not sure about restoring just one hive though.
regards,
Hari, Acelogix Team

Mumio

Post by Mumio » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:27 am

hari wrote:

Thanks for your reply Hari. Why not? It's the only one showing up on the event viewer as causing a problem with startup, which is taking too long. Here's the specific error:

{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

I also cleaned up a couple of other errors showing on the event viewer, none of which were indicated specifically as hive problems, but I'm not sure where in the registry those issues would reside and so don't want to undo what I have already corrected. I thought if I just dealt with the only hive-related issue that appeared there, that would be enough. I'm a bit nervous about fiddling with this kind of stuff by myself so needed some guidance.

I'm a self-taught computer user and care for all of our computers here at home. I try to make sure I do the right things so I don't create more trouble for myself, which is why I posted here...so would greatly appreciate your expert advice/opinions.

Mumio

Re: Hari, would you please explain further?

Post by Mumio » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Mumio wrote:
hari wrote:

Thanks for your reply Hari. Why not? It's the only one showing up on the event viewer as causing a problem with startup, which is taking too long. Here's the specific error:

{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

I also cleaned up a couple of other errors showing on the event viewer, none of which were indicated specifically as hive problems, but I'm not sure where in the registry those issues would reside and so don't want to undo what I have already corrected. I thought if I just dealt with the only hive-related issue that appeared there, that would be enough. I'm a bit nervous about fiddling with this kind of stuff by myself so needed some guidance.

I'm a self-taught computer user and care for all of our computers here at home. I try to make sure I do the right things so I don't create more trouble for myself, which is why I posted here...so would greatly appreciate your expert advice/opinions.

hari
Site Admin

Post by hari » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Normally you restore all the hives, not just one hive.
The default hive does not hold a lot of important data compared to other hives, so not much info should be lost.
regards,
Hari, Acelogix Team

Mumio

Post by Mumio » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:25 am

Thank you again Hari.